We had a great turnout at the first Alaska Summer Showcase! Check out Brooke Leslie’s traditional Tlingit singing (above). Hundreds of travelers came out to visit with travel companies from around the state. Lots of folks stopped in for a bite at the Food Truck Rodeo. We had great presenters. And MY GOSH, the PRIZES. They were AWESOME. Here’s a rundown of the winners:
Alaska Air trip for two: Patty K.
Katmailand/PenAir trip for two: Linda V.
Kennicott trip for two: Geoffrey D.
Major Marine tour of Kenai Fjords National Park: Melissa S.
Arctic Circle fly/drive from Northern Alaska Tour Company: Clydene F.
Knik River Lodge/Explore Tours heli-tour: Carol C.
Era Helicopters Denali heli-hike: Catherine B.
Ninilchik Charters deep-sea fishing: Amanda F.
Whale watching with Alaska Travel Adventures: Marge H.
LeConte Glacier Tour with Alaska Waters: Eunice A.
Columbia Glacier Cruise with Stan Stephens Cruises: Jennifer S.
Taquan Air flightseeing of Misty Fjords N.M.: Annie S.
Kenai River canyon raft adventure + lodge stay w/Alaska Wildland: Marne L.
Travel Juneau adventure: Clifton Y.
Land’s End Resort : Cindi C.
Across the Bay Adventure Company: Anisia K.
Alaska Railroad trip for two: Ole L.
Inlet Tower package: Theresa T.
Visit Anchorage package: Kelly I.
We’re already planning for next year! We had our first meeting for next year’s big event! LIVE–at Crush! If you came to the event–you’ll recognize these folks!
Thanks for coming to the Alaska Native Heritage Center for our big event! Here’s a picture of the cash we took in at the gate. So far, more than 112 people have donated more than $2,200! You still can donate to charity:water HERE!
We’ll see YOU at the Alaska Native Heritage Center TODAY between 12-5PM. Learn about g-r-e-a-t Alaska adventures from 25 of our favorite travel companies. Munch on the most a-w-e-s-o-m-e snackage at our exclusive FOOD TRUCK RODEO with several of Anchorage’s most creative and tasty mobile kitchens including Wheel Good Food, Boom Ba Laddy’s and Tiers from Heaven.
Admission is free, but we do encourage you to donate at least $5 per person to charity:water.
And put your name in the hat to win some awesome prizes, including:
a. Roundtrip SYSTEMWIDE tickets for two on Alaska Airlines (including their newest destinations: Albuquerque and Baltimore).
b. Roundtrip SYSTEMWIDE tickets for two on Alaska Railroad.
c. Fly-out adventure for TWO from Anchorage to Brooks Lodge in Katmai National Park from Katmailand and PenAir (includes two nights’ accommodations plus tour to see the Valley of the 10,000 Smokes).
d. Fly-out adventure for TWO from Chitina to Kennicott Glacier Lodge and Wrangell Mountain Air for two nights, including history tour from St. Elias Alpine Guides.
e. Arctic Circle fly/drive tour from Fairbanks from Northern Alaska Tour Company.
f. Columbia Glacier cruise for two from Valdez with Stan Stephens Cruises.
g. Kenai River canyon raft adventure, including overnight lodge accommodations from Alaska Wildland Adventure.
h. Knik Glacier helicopter tour (including DOG MUSHING on the glacier), plus overnight lodge accommodations from Knik River Lodge and Explore Tours.
i. Heli-hiking adventure for two from Denali National Park with Era Helicopters!
j. Accommodations for two nights at Land’s End Resort in Homer.
k. Overnight lodge accommodations on the beach with Across the Bay Adventure Company, including roundtrip water taxi from Mako’s Water Taxi leaving Homer.
l. Full-day halibut charter for two from Ninilchik Charters.
m. Two nights’ accommodations at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge.
n. Two nights’ accommodations plus $100 dining credit at Inlet Tower Hotel.
o. LeConte Glacier jetboat tour including a stop in Petersburg from Alaska Waters in Wrangell.
p. Flightseeing tour of Misty Fjords National Monument in Ketchikan from Taquan Air.
q. Whalewatching tour from Alaska Travel Adventures in Juneau.
r. Kenai Fjords National Park cruise for two from Major Marine Tours.
s. Family Pass to the Alaska Sealife Center.
t. Family Pass to the Anchorage Museum.
….and MORE MORE MORE.
Don’t miss it! See you there!
Today is World Water Day. That ties in with our aim to raise money for charity:water at the Alaska Summer Showcase. It also reminds us that we have LOTS of water around Alaska.
For example, one of our prizes (from Explore Tours, btw) is an overnight stay at Knik River Lodge, along with a helicopter tour and a landing on Knik Glacier (pictured, above). That’s a LOT of water. And it’s an EPIC adventure. Of course, it’s just one of the prizes we’re offering on Mar. 29–see the whole list HERE.
But it’s a poignant reminder of the importance of clean water for people throughout the world.
So–we look forward to seeing you on Mar. 29 at the Alaska Native Heritage Center for the first Alaska Summer Showcase. Grab a bite to eat at the Food Truck Rodeo. Enter to win one of the GLORIOUS prizes, including a trip to Knik River Lodge from our friends at Explore Tours. But take a moment RIGHT NOW and CLICK THROUGH to make your donation to charity:water. After all, it’s World Water Day.
The Alaska Summer Showcase Team
If you want to see Alaska this summer, come to the Alaska Summer Showcase on Mar. 29. Our friends at the Alaska Native Heritage Center have a great set-up…and we’ll be there waiting for you to WIN A PRIZE between 12 Noon and 5pm! Since we are offering more than $20,000 in prizes…heck, you’re bound to win SOMETHING! Here’s a partial line-up:
1. Ninilchik Charters: Halibut charter for two
2. Stan Stephens Cruises: Columbia Glacier trip for two
3. Alaska Airlines: Systemwide trip for two (incl. Mexico, Hawaii, East Coast!)
4. Alaska Railroad: Systemwide trip for two
5. Katmailand: Brooks Lodge trip for two incl. air fare from PenAir, plus trip to see Valley of the 10,000 Smokes in Katmai National Park!
6. Kennicott Glacier Lodge: Kennicott Lodge stay, plus air fare from Wrangell Mountain Air and History Tour from St. Elias Alpine Guides in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park!
7. Era Helicopters: Heli-hiking trip for two from Denali National Park!
8. Taquan Air: Flightseeing trip from Ketchikan into Misty Fjords National Monument
9. Major Marine Tours: Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise + “back of the house” tour at the Alaska SeaLife Center!
10. Northern Alaska Tour Company: Arctic Circle Fly-Drive tour from Fairbanks!
11. Alaska Wildland Adentures: Kenai River Canyon raft trip, plus overnight accommodations at the Kenai River Resort!
12. Across the Bay Adventure Company: Overnight beachfront accommodations, plus roundtrip water taxi from Mako’s Water Taxi.
…MORE MORE MORE.
Of course, the entire event is a fundraiser for charity:water . Take a moment and visit our special PAGE, dedicated to raising money at this event. Go ahead–make a donation. HAHA.
Hey–we’ve got another g-r-e-a-t prize from our friends at Kennicott Glacier Lodge, deep in the heart of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. I snapped this photo from the deck (above)!
We love Kennicott, by the way. The lodge is nestled in the heart of the ghost town that once was the heart of the world’s largest copper mine (at right, the 14-story mill building for processing copper ore). History nuts LOVE this place. It’s surrounded by hiking, glaciers, stunning views–and everything to top off that nasty”nature deficit” that you get from sitting behind a desk, dontchyaknow.
Here’s the prize: two nights at Kennicott Glacier Lodge (awesome!), plus roundtrip air from Chitina back to McCarthy from our friends at Wrangell Mountain Air (at left, pilot Bill McKinnon gets the DHC-2 “Beaver” ready for flight). In addition to trimming your drive time, this is an AWESOME flightseeing trip. St. Elias Alpine Guides is including a history tour around town. WOW! Two people are going to be VERY, VERY happy!
Stop by the Alaska Native Heritage Center on Sat., Mar. 29 to enter. Come early (we open at 12 Noon). Stay late (until 5pm). And before you come, make a donation to charity:water . I did…I gave ‘em $100 . It’s a good thing . The whole “Alaska Summer Showcase” is a fundraiser for charity:water. Learn more. We’ll see you at the show! I hope you win this trip!!
Hey–I know you’re coming on Mar. 29 to the Alaska Native Heritage Center to jumpstart your summer. And get some good food at our Food Truck Rodeo. But we also have some g-r-e-a-t speakers. Witnesseth:
1. Pam Mandel. Pam is a good friend, a “real” writer and plays in an awesome ukelele band called “The Castaways”. She’s a great storyteller. I asked her to make the trek north to Anchorage to share with us…”Why does travel matter?” Further–why does it matter to tell stories about travel? I encourage you to follow her work at nerdseyeview.com . You’ll get an idea of Pam’s curious nature: new places, new people, new ideas. Whether it’s Antarctica, Austria or Amsterdam…there’s lots going on here. I cannot wait to sit in on her chat. I invite you to do the same.
2. Rob Stapleton. Take a look at Rob’s photo blog: Alaskafoto.com. This guy gets around–whether it’s on the ground or in the air. I’ve always tried to follow Rob’s rule of photography: “every picture needs to tell a story”. Ask him about mushing to the top of Denali with Joe Redington, Susan Butcher and her dogs. Or about documenting the Iditarod for more than 20 years. Or about flying an ultralight over the top of Denali. I’ve asked Rob to share his insight on how you and I can use modern technology (your PHONE) to take incredible images. Hint: no telephoto required!
3. Erin Kirkland. Full disclosure: I am a little bit prejudiced when it comes to Erin. After all, she’s my co-host on the “Alaska Travelgram Radio Show”. I refer to Erin as “Alaska’s family travel expert”. And that’s the truth. Follow her posts at “AKontheGO.com“. She has plenty of tips and tricks–with a mother’s touch. Plan, prepare, enjoy. Add wine. HAHA. Really, though, Erin offers a thoughtful view on why and how to haul the whole family on your next adventure. BONUS: Erin’s new book is OUT! She’ll have some copies at the show. Buy one…she’ll sign it for you!
Hey–if you would like a poster to put up in your office or on a bulletin board, we have a limited number to go around! Send me a note: email@example.com !
Wow. We’re gathering some g-r-e-a-t travel prizes for the first Alaska Summer Showcase on Sat., Mar. 29 between 12n and 5pm. BONUS: you can pre-register NOW and AUTOMATICALLY be entered to win some of the BEST travel prizes.
How? The WHOLE EVENT is designed to jumpstart your summer. And there’s nothing like a FREE TRIP to do that, eh? We’ve built this great event as a fundraiser for charity:water. When you donate to our campaign, you AUTOMATICALLY are entered. Everyone, btw, will have the opportunity to donate HERE!
1. Alaska Airlines: two roundtrip tickets! That’s me (top) in the cockpit of Q400!
2. Alaska Railroad: two roundtrip tickets! (Another pic of me on train. HA! COULD BE YOU!!!!!)
3. Alaska Waters: Two LeConte Glacier jetboat tours, including a two-hour stop in Petersburg.
4. Era Flightseeing: Two heli-hiking tours departing Denali National Park.
5. Alaska Wildland Adventures: Overnight for two at Kenai Riverside Lodge, including dinner, breakfast and a float trip for two on the Kenai River canyon!
6. Kennicott Glacier Lodge: Lodge adventure for two in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park!
7. Northern Alaska Tour Company: Arctic Circle fly/drive tour for two!
8. Stan Stephens Cruises: Columbia Glacier tour for two!
9. Land’s End Resort: 3-day/2-night Getaway package for two!
…these are just a FEW of the prizes to be offered. We’re gathering everyone together at the Alaska Native Heritage Center for this one-day TRAVEL EXTRAVAGANZA, including some GREAT speakers, GREAT entertainment, a GREAT food-truck rodeo. MORE MORE MORE.
So: PRE-REGISTER and make your donation to charity:water. CLICK HERE. I donated $100—but anything will do, as long as it’s $5 or more. OH GO AHEAD—DONATE $100 like Leslye, Linda and I did.
STAY TUNED—more details to follow. Get ready to JUMPSTART your summer!